3rd Maryland Infantry

Alternate Designations: None.

Commander: Col. Joseph M. Sudsburg (1827-1901).

Numbers: 278; 1 killed, 7 wounded.

Raised: Baltimore; counties of Washington and Talbot, as well as Preston County (WV).

Dedicated: Oct. 24, 1888.

Location: East side of Slocum Avenue, near Spangler’s Spring. It is sited where the unit occupied earthworks on July 2, 1863, then reoccupied the area on July 3, after withdrawing the night before to reinforce the Union left.

Description: Tapered monument stands on a rough-hewn base and is capped with a capstone with the 12th Corps star emblem on each side. On the front face is a relief of crossed rifles and a cartridge box over a round relief of the Maryland State Seal. The monument is one of 6 honoring Maryland troops who participated in the Gettysburg campaign. Monument is a multi-part granite shaft with a reversed stepped shaft top and a cross gable cap, and set on a 4.6 foot rough cut base with tooled edge. The shaft contains polished incised inscriptions on its lower part and a gun bas-relief with a bronze medallion. Overall height is 12.5 feet. Eagle Granite Works was the fabricator.

National Park Service List of Classified Monuments Number: MN334.

Sculptor: Eagle Granite Works (fabricator)

Army of the Potomac > Twelfth Corps > First Division > First Brigade