8th United States Infantry

Alternate Designations: None.

Commander: Capt. Edwin W.H. Read

Numbers: No loss.

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Located along former Meade Avenue, Liester Farm, near Meade’s headquarters.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
HEADQUARTERS
PROVOST GUARD
EIGHTH U. S. INFANTRY
Eight Companies
Captain Edwin W. H. Read Commanding

July 2. Arrived in the morning and engaged in Provost duty until the close of the battle.

Army of the Potomac > Headquarters > Guards and Orderlies