94th New York Infantry

Alternate Designations: Belle Jefferson Rifles

Commander: Col. Adrian R. Root (1833-1899), wounded on July 1; Maj. Samuel A. Moffett (1836-1917).

Numbers: 445; 12 killed, 58 wounded, 175 missing.

Raised: Jefferson County.

Dedicated: 1888.

Location: It is located as the southernmost monument on Doubleday Avenue on Oak Ridge. Monument indicates the position held by the 94th New York Infantry on the afternoon of July 1, 1863 until forced to retreat by Confederate pressure. This position was held by 94th New York Infantry on afternoon of July 1, 1863 after moving from Sheads Woods by order of Major-General Robinson.

Description: Westerly granite obelisk stands on tapered pedestal and tiered, rough-hewn base. Three upright, crossed muskets with bayonets are affixed to the front of the obelisk. The 1st Corps disk insignia is above the muskets. A round New York state seal relief is affixed to the front of the pedestal. A granite relief of a draped flag adorns the right and back sides of the pedestal. The flanking markers are one foot square.

National Park Service List of Classified Monuments Number: MN16.

Sculptor: Smith Granite Company, fabricator.

Army of the Potomac > First Corps > Second Division > First Brigade