Fisher’s Brigade Monument (5-3-3)

Location: Located off Sykes Avenue near its junction with South Confederate Avenue, at the foot/lower slope of Big Round Top.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIFTH CORPS THIRD DIVISION
THIRD BRIGADE
Col. Joseph W. Fisher
34th 38th 39th 40th Penna. Infantry
(5th 9th 10th 11th 12th (9 Cos.) Reserves)

July 2. Moved with the Division from the Baltimore Pike near Rock Creek to Little Round Top and at dusk took position in rear of Third Brigade First Division. The 5th and 12th Penna. Reserves and 20th Maine of the Third Brigade First Division took possession of the north slope of Round Top after a slight resistance and constructed a stone wall from base to summit for defense. This position was held until the close of the battle.

Casualties Killed 1 Officer 5 Men Wounded 3 Officers 46 Men Total 55

Army of the Potomac > Fifth Corps > Third Division > Third Brigade