Location: Slocum Avenue, south end, near Spangler’s Spring.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
Inscription:
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
TWELFTH CORPS FIRST DIVISION
SECOND BRIGADE
Brig. Gen. Henry H. Lockwood
1st Maryland Potomac Home Brigade
1st Maryland Eastern Shore
150th New York Infantry
July 2. The 1st Maryland Potomac Home Brigade and 150th New York arrived at 8 A. M. and went into position between Rock Creek and the Baltimore Pike on right of Division. Brig. Gen. Lockwood receiving orders direct from the General Commanding Corps. Late in the day the Brigade went with Division to support Third Corps line and advanced over the ground from which the Corps had previously been forced. The 150th New York drew off 3 abandoned guns of 9th Mass. Battery and returned about midnight.
July 3. Took part in the recapture of works which Major General Johnson’s Division took possession of during the absence of Division the previous night. At about 8 A. M. 1st Maryland Eastern Shore arrived and joined Brigade. Ordered in the afternoon to Second Corps line near Cemetery to render support where needed. The Brigade was not assigned to the Division until July 5th.
Casualties Killed 3 Officers 32 Men Wounded 3 Officers 118 Men Captured or Missing 18 Men Total 174