The Monuments and Memorials of the Gettysburg Campaign
Rogers House
The 25-acre Peter Rogers Farm is located on the west side of the Emmitsburg Road, near the center of the 2nd/3rd day battlefield. Rogers and his wife Susan lived here in 1863; Peter stayed in the house with his adopted granddaughter Josephine (who baked bread for the soldiers), while Susan took refuge to the east of the Round Tops. The one-story log house (built around 1850) was struck by at least nine artillery shells and afterwards, seventeen soldiers’ bodies were removed from the house and cellar.
The Rogers house is long since gone; only a marker and a white picket fence denotes where it once stood.